Friday, August 28, 2009

Hitting Up Target

I had big plans for Target today, and for the most part it came through for me!

1st transaction:
5 True Delight granola bars @ $2.54 - (5) MQ
Total = $7.89
PLUS, I got a $5 g.c. for buying 5. Figuring in the g.c., these are cheaper here than at Fry's this week.

2nd transaction:
6 Johnson & Johnson child's safety q-tips @ $1.29 - (6) $1 Target q
1 J&J baby lotion @ $2.19 - (1) $1 Target q
2 J&J Detangling spray @ $2.89 - (2) $1 Target q and (2) $1 MQ
2 J&J Baby oil gel @ $2.99 - (2) $1 Target q and (2) $1 MQ
1 J&J Baby powder @ $2.19 - (1) $1 Target q and (1) $1 MQ
6 J&J Buddies bar soap @ $.97 - (6) Target q's (adjusted to $.97)
4 All Small & Mighty travel size detergent @ $.97 - (4) $1 MQ (adjusted to $.97)
10 Skittles @ $.52 - (10) $1 Target q's (adjusted to $.52)
10 Pop Tarts, marked as $1.92 but rang up @ $1.46 - (10) $.75 Target q's and (5) $1/2 MQ**
2 AF Artisan Cibatta bread @ $.99 - (2) $1 Target q (adjusted to $.99)
1.03 lb bananas @ $.50/lb - $.50 Target q
6 Sponge Bob Colgate @ $.52 ea - (6) $1 Target q's (adjusted to $.52)
2 Chef Michael dry dog food @ $4.49 - (2) $1.50 Target q's and (2) $3 MQ***
8 Nexcare bandages @ $.82 ea - (8) $1 IP (adjusted to $.82, this expires 8/31)
6 Candy bars @ $.52 ea - (3) Target B1G1F q and (3) Free candy bar coupons

Total = $5.36!! ($2.38 was tax!)

Remaining budget = $18.99 - $7.89 - $5.36 = $5.74

**I found the Pop Tarts that had the free movie tokens on the back. Unfortunately it looks like the only ones are Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, which are d-i-s-g-u-s-t-i-n-g!!! Oh well, for $10 Kellogg's rebate and 2 free movie vouchers I'll find some one to give them to!
***If you know me you're probably looking at this strange since I don't have a dog. Well, for free I'll get it and sell it at my garage sale!

I felt bad for the people behind me in line as the cashier had to adjust so many q's. They were very nice and patient (and luckily so was my cashier) and amazed at my savings ($84.28!!) I invited them to view the blog, so if you're seeing this, WELCOME!

I know sometimes shopping at Target can be a pain as a lot of cashiers try to interpret their own rules when it comes to coupons. One thing you can do is arm yourself with knowledge about Target's coupon policy. You can even take a copy of the Target coupon policy (see below) with you so you are prepared. Expect your coupons for overage to be adjusted (I would say this happens to me 2/3 times) but also be prepared it they are not adjusted! You could always throw in a pack of gum or something up by the register if you see that you are going to go into the negative. The Target coupons do say one per transaction and I know some cashiers would make you purchase each item in a separate order, but I always ask before I start to avoid the hassle.

Here's the coupon policy: (from Hip2Save)

Thanks for asking us about using coupons at Target. Coupons are a great way to save even more when shopping with us, and it's easy to use them at our stores. Because of the variety of coupons available to our guests, we do have some guidelines for how coupons can be redeemed at Target.

When accepting coupons, we use the following guidelines:

- We accept two kinds of coupons: Target-issued and manufacturer-issued.
- We'll accept one Target coupon and one manufacturer coupon for the same item, unless either coupon prohibits it.
- We can't give cash back if the face value of a coupon is greater than the purchase value of the item; in this case, we're able to adjust the value of the coupon to equal the price of the item.
- We can't accept coupons from other retailers, or coupons for products not carried in our stores.
- All valid coupons should be presented to the cashier while you're checking out.

For questions about using a specific coupon, we encourage you to stop by Guest Service and ask to speak with the Guest Service Team Leader. They'll do their best to help while you're in the store. If you still have questions after speaking with them, please call our Guest Relations team at (800) 440-0680. Either way, we're here to help!

We appreciate the opportunity to share this information with you.

Sincerely,

James
Target Guest Relations
www.target.com

I also saw a sign at the front of the store as I was leaving that said that Target will price match any competitor's current ad! I've seen discussion about this but never anything definite like that. I'm wondering if it's more for electronic items and such or if it applies to grocery items as well. I didn't have time to ask at Guest Services, but I'll be sure to find out more info on this!

No comments: