Friday, August 7, 2009

Got milk? Free cereal at Fry's

I'm so happy right now since we were starting to run a little low on cereal (read: we only had about 20 boxes).

Remember the Honey Bunches of Oats catalina deal I talked about here? Well, I saw that Fry's had their HBOO cereal on sale $1.88 and so I went this morning to see if it would work. Well, as you can see, it did! Here's the details on the catalina:
Honey Bunches of Oats cereal
Purchase between 7/17 - 8/9
Buy 3, Get $2 OYNSO
Buy 4, Get $3
Buy 5 or more, Get $5
1st order:
5 boxes cereal
Grapes @ $.77/lb
Onions @ $1/lb
- (5) $1 cereal mq
Total = $8.22, paid for with g.c. from the Amp deal = $0 OOP
+ I got a catalina for $5 ONYSO

2nd order:
5 boxes cereal
Tyson chicken @ $1.67/lb
- (5) $1 cereal mq
- $1 Tyson chicken mq
- $5 catalina from previous order
Total = $2.08- $1.78 remaining on g.c. = $.30 OOP

3rd order:
5 boxes cereal
Tyson chicken @ $1.67/lb
- (5) $1 cereal mq
- $1 Tyson chicken mq
- $5 catalina from previous order
- $.15 BYOB (Bring your own bag, they give you $.05/bag)
Total = $1.62 OOP

4th order:
5 boxes cereal
Tyson chicken @ $1.67/lb
- (5) $1 cereal mq
- $5 catalina from previous order
- $.15 BYOB
Total = $1 OOP

5th order:
5 boxes cereal
Tyson chicken @ $1.67/lb
- (5) $1 cereal mq
- $5 catalina from previous order
- $.15 BYOB
Total = $2.45 OOP
+ I still have a $5 catalina that I plan on using next week when my budget resets to get more chicken. I will combine that with a $3/$15 meat purchase coupon I received in the mail today so I can restock our chicken.

Remaining budget = $8.12 - $.30 - $1.62 - $1 - $2.45 = $2.75! I think I'm done for the week but I'm so glad to have succeded in my first week.

Now what am I going to do with all that cereal? Here's where couponing and food storage mesh together. The cereal doesn't expire for 1 year, so basically we have all year to eat, share, donate, or even dry pack can the cereal. When you are able to get things on sale and can stockpile you are building your food storage so when things come up financially or you just aren't able to make it to the store that day or week you still have something to eat!

I have a friend who is major into food storage. She tells people to take $10 a week and buy things that you can put in your food storage so if you need a meal you have one. Spaghetti, canned soup, cereal (you can eat it dry if you have to), canned chicken, etc. are all things that you can buy little by little to put into your food storage. Now throw couponing into the mix and you should have that extra $10 to spend on food storage items so you're not spending any more money than you were before, but you're building your food storage.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Seriously, i don't know how you do this. Some day I will hopefully learn.

Born2Save said...

You will! Well, let me rephrase that - if you're willing to go completely overboard and even sometimes look like an idiot, you will!

At first I kind of just followed what other people were doing until I caught on and could come up with scenarios of my own. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

CrzyJess said...

I wish I lived in the same state as you so you could walk me through it. I still feel so lost!!! It's just me though...you do a fantastic job of going over everything.

Born2Save said...

CrzyJess,

I would suggest starting REALLY small. Don't try to overwhelm yourself by doing every deal or anything complicated. Look for the grocery deals at the store you go to most over at PinchingYourPennies and start from there. You'll catch on before you know it! I will also try to find some more explanations and maybe hearing it a different way will help.

CrzyJess said...

That's what I was thinking I would do. Coupons alone would be a huge help because I've never used them. I get to start looking at the weekly ads to find good deals at the grocery stores. Thanks again for sharing all of the deals you find!

Jess

Born2Save said...

Jess,

I would definitely suggest just starting to get coupons from the paper, online, etc. and start matching them up with the sales. You'll be a pro in no time!